Pithla Bhaat is soul food… Total comfort food, when you are looking for something quick, filling but intensely satisfying as well. Tasty and easy, this Pithla can be had with steaming, hot rice or with Bhaakris or thick rotis made from either rice, jowar, bajri or nachni flour. This Maharashtrian delicacy is made and relished with gusto in the most humble of homes, to the richest of mansions. The recipe posted here is a slight variation of the original version, with spring onions added to it for a slightly different flavour.
Pithla Bhaat / Rice with Chickpea Flour Gravy… A Maharashtrian recipe
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 3-4 bowlfuls
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (3.5 /5)
- 1 rating
- 1 1/2 cups of besan / chickpea flour
- 1 small bunch of green spring onions/ around 1/2 cup of greens and 1/2 cup of onions chopped
- 2 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds/ rai
- 1/2 tsp haldi/ turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida/hing
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- Wash, clean and cut the bunch of spring onions. Keep aside 1 tsp greens for garnishing.
- In a big bowl, take the besan and add 3 cups of water to it. Mix well, taking care to see that no lumps are left.
- Heat a kadhai. Add the oil. Make a seasoning of rai, haldi, hing and finely chopped garlic. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the cut onions and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Mix in the greens. saute, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add the besan-water mixture to the kadhai, along with red chilli powder and salt.
- Mix well, cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring once in between.
- Adjust water according to thickness of Pithla required. Ideally it shouldn't be too thick, nor too thin.
- Garnish with a few fresh, chopped greens and serve with hot, steaming rice for am extremely soul-satisfying meal.
- I have served it with cut onions, some fried papads and sweet lime pickle.
I believe that food should look as good as it tastes, and vice-versa. Maybe this is because I am an artist and an advertising professional too! But my first brush ...Read more about this chef..