This relatively simple veg biryani has all the flavours of a regular biryani with the added taste of Cauliflower in it. Make it on a day when you are tired of the regular dal chawal, but don’t really want to take the pains of preparing a full-fledged, elaborate dum biryani. The trick to a more flavourful rice here is the way I’ve cooked it. Read the recipe to know more….
Cauliflower Potato Biryani
Published on September 15, 2017 | In Indian | By Author |0 Comments
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 big bowlful
- Difficulty Level Moderate
- (2.9 /5)
- 6 ratings
- 2 cups of soaked basmati rice
- 1 cup thick curd
- 1 cup cauliflower broken into florets
- 2 potatoes cut into big pieces
- 3/4 cup of mixed onion and tomato paste
- 3 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp shahi biryani masala (Everest brand)
- 1/2 tsp haldi/ turmericpowder
- 1/2 tsp hing / asafoetida
- 2-3cloves, 1 stick of cinnamon, 1 bayleaf, 2-3 peppercorns
- salt to taste
- 3 medium sized onions cut finely vertically
- 2 tbsp oil
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a deep kadhai. Put in the vertically finely cut onions. Fry till dark brown in colour. Take them out and keep aside.
- In a big bowl, marinate the cut cauliflower and potato pieces with the curd, red chilli powder, garam masala powder and salt.
- In the same kadhai that you fried the onions in, now add the bay leaf, cloves, pepper corns and the basmati rice. Saute for 2 minutes. Add double the quantity water. Add 1/2 tbsp biryani masala to the boiling rice. This incorporates more flavour to the rice itself too. Cover and cook until rice is almost done. Switch off gas.
- In another kadhai, heat 1 tbsp oil, add in the onion-tomato paste, ginger-garlic paste, haldi, hing. Fry till the oil starts to separate.
- Now add in the cauliflower and potatoes, alongwith all the masala it was marinated in. Put in 1/2 tbsp shahi biryani masala and a little water.
- Cover and cook till done. Check the salt and add more if necessary. The gravy shouldn't be too thin. It has to become semi-dry.
- Now in the same deep kadhai, make layers of first the rice, then the cauliflower-potato, again the rice topped with the veggies, with the last layer being the rice.
- Top it with the fried, brown onions.
- On the gas, keep a thick tawa with a little water on it. Now keep the kadhai with the biryani on top of the tawa. Cover the kadhai and steam for 10 minutes before serving.
- I have served the biryani with a simple salad made of cucumber, onion and carrots cut into juliennes, marinated in 1 tsp of white vinegar, 1 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder and salt to taste.
- Servings : 4-5 people
- Ready in : 50 Minutes
- Course : Rice Recipes
- Recipe Type : Rice Recipes (Indian / World Cuisine)
I believe that food should look as good as it tastes, and vice-versa. Maybe this is because I am an artist and an advertising professional too! But my first brush ...Read more about this chef..
Suran Groundnut Curry
Lasooni Palak/ Garlicky Spinach
Namkeen Mathri/ Savoury Crackers
3 Ingredient Oreo Cake
Khatti Meethi Moong Dal...
Rate this recipe
6 People Rated This Recipe
No comments yet.