Who doesn’t like Chinese? Indians have become great fans of the fancy Indo-Chinese dishes that we get in restaurants. Ordering Chinese at home on weekends or while eating out has become the done thing. Why not try making the same thing at home then? What we get is unlimited portions, plus the satisfaction of knowing that we are having home-cooked food, which is any day healthier than restaurant-food. Posted here is a simple recipe for restaurant-style Burnt Garlic Rice with Veg Manchurian, but, with a slight twist. Instead of making the Manchurian balls with the usual grated cabbage and carrot, I’ve used dudhi (bottlegourd)!
Burnt Garlic Rice with Veg Manchurian
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 4 plates
- Difficulty Level Moderate
- (3.3 /5)
- 3 ratings
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 2 cups dudhi (bottlegourd) grated
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 3 tsp finely chopped green chillies
- 1 cup green spring onions chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp dark soya sauce
- 2 tsp red chilli sauce
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil for rice and gravy, and oil for deep frying the veg balls
- For the Burnt Garlic Rice : Soak basmati rice for half an hour. Take double the quantity of water and cook on high in microwave for 14 minutes. Keep aside to cool.
- In a non-stick pan, heat 1 tbsp oil, add the finely chopped garlic and saute till brown. Add 1 tbsp of spring onions along with the greens. Stir for 2 minutes. Add the cooked basmati rice and salt to taste. Cover and cook for 5 minutes and your rice is ready to be served.
- For the Veg Manchurian : Take the grated dudhi (bottlegourd) in a bowl. Add the finely chopped green chillies, pepper powder and salt to taste. Mix 1 1/2 tbsp of cornflour and blend well. Shape into balls. Heat oil in a kadhai and deep fry these balls till golden all over. Remove and keep aside.
- For the Gravy : Take 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add in the ginger-garlic paste, green chillies and spring onions. Saute for 2 minutes. Mix in all the sauces. Add 1 cup water to the pan. Bring to a boil. Now take 1/2 tbsp cornflour and mix it in 1/2 cup water. Mix this in and stir well. Add salt to taste. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes. The gravy will start thickening. Switch off gas and add the golden balls into the gravy. Your Veg Manchurian is ready to eat.
- Serve the Veg Manchurian Gravy with the yummy Burnt Garlic Rice. Alternatively, it can also be served with plain Steamed Rice as shown in some pictures.
I believe that food should look as good as it tastes, and vice-versa. Maybe this is because I am an artist and an advertising professional too! But my first brush ...Read more about this chef..