Idli with Sambhar and Coconut Chutney
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 6 people
- (4.5 /5)
- 1 rating
- 4 cups of rice
- 1 cup of udad dal
- 1/2 tsp methi (fenugreek) seeds
- The afternoon before, soak the rice, udad dal and methi seeds in water.
- After 5-6 hours, grind them together in a mixie into a thickish batter.
- Add salt, cover and keep in a warm place to ferment overnight.
- Next morning the batter will have doubled in quantity.
- Grease an idli mould and fill it with ladleful’s of the batter.
- Keep the mould in a cooker having a little water at the bottom.
- Remove the whistle from the cover of the cooker and close it.
- Start gas and steam the idlis for 25 minutes.
- Switch off gas and remove the mould from the cooker.
- Let it stay for 5 minutes.
- Remove the idlis with a wet knife.
- Serve hot with sambhar and coconut chutney.
Note :Before removing the idlis, check if they’re done by inserting a toothpick in the centre of one. If if comes out clean, the idlis are done. If the toothpick comes out sticky, resteam for 5-10 minutes more.
- Servings : 6 people
- Ready in : 30 Minutes
- Recipe Type : Breakfast
I believe that food should look as good as it tastes, and vice-versa. Maybe this is because I am an artist and an advertising professional too! But my first brush ...Read more about this chef..