This yummy rice preparation is a complete meal by itself. The delicate flavour of the beans infuses itself subtly into the rice, enhancing its taste, more so because of the authentic Indian spices used in it. Called Dalimbi Bhaat by Brahmins, it is called Vaalachi Khichadi by CKPs, Pathare Prabhus and Marathas just to name a few. The beans are also called Field beans, Lima beans or Butter beans in English because of its starchy and buttery texture. I’ve served it here with Tomato Saar and Suran Kaap or Yam Chops.
Dalimbi/Vaal Bhaat / Rice made with Lima-Field-Butter Beans
Published on August 4, 2017 | In Indian | By Author |0 Comments
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 4 people
- Difficulty Level Moderate
- (2.9 /5)
- 8 ratings
- 1 cup sprouted and cleaned Vaal
- 2 cups pre-soaked basmati rice
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 cup wet ground paste of sauteed fresh coconut, onion, ginger, garlic
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp haldi / turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp of rai /mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp hing / asafoetida
- 1 tsp of red chilli powder
- 2 tsp of goda/ kaala/ black masala
- 2 tsp of coriander-cumin powder
- 1 tbsp of tamarind paste
- 1/2" of jaggery
- salt to taste
- 4-5 curry leaves
- fresh coconut and cut coriander for serving
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan and make a tadka of rai, haldi and hing.
- Add in the curry leaves, onion and red chilli powder. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Put in the wet ground paste, coriander-cumin powder, goda masala and the vaal.
- Add the soaked rice, tamarind paste, jaggery, salt to taste and double the quantity of water.
- Mix well, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or till rice is fully cooked. The sprouted vaal don't take too long to cook.
- Stir the rice delicately when done to avoid the vaal from breaking.
- Serve topped with ghee and some fresh coconut-coriander leaves.
- A squeeze of lemon does wonders to enhance it's taste even further.
- Servings : 4
- Ready in : 50 Minutes
- Course : Rice Recipes
- Recipe Type : Rice Recipes (Indian / World Cuisine)
I believe that food should look as good as it tastes, and vice-versa. Maybe this is because I am an artist and an advertising professional too! But my first brush ...Read more about this chef..
Suran Groundnut Curry
Lasooni Palak/ Garlicky Spinach
Namkeen Mathri/ Savoury Crackers
3 Ingredient Oreo Cake
Khatti Meethi Moong Dal...
Rate this recipe
8 People Rated This Recipe
No comments yet.