The humble palak when wedded with the homely taak or buttermilk is capable of producing a totally yummy recipe. Very commonly made in most Maharashtrian households, this Palakchi Taakatli Bhaaji tastes the best with hot, steamed rice or even bhaakris, for that matter. Spinach in Buttermilk might not sound too appetizing to some, but believe me when I tell you, that this is one dish that you will make again and again! Simple and quick to make, it combines the goodness of Spinach with the cooling properties of Buttermilk as well.
Spinach in Buttermilk / Palakchi Taakatli Bhaaji – A Marathi Recipe
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 big bowlful
- Difficulty Level Moderate
- (3.5 /5)
- 1 rating
- 1 big bunch of spinach/ palak
- 1 1/2 cups of dahi/ curd
- 4 tsp oil
- 2 tsp besan/chickpea flour
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds / rai
- 1/2 tsp haldi/ turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp hing/ asafoetida
- 1 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 4-5 pods of garlic
- salt to taste
- pinch of sugar
- Wash and cut palak/spinach leaves finely.
- Add 1 1/2 cups water to the curd and make buttermilk by churning it well. Mix in the besan taking care to dissolve any lumps.
- In a pan, heat oil and make a seasoning of the mustard seeds, haldi and hing.
- Add in the cut spinach leaves.
- Cover and cook till the spinach is almost done, stirring in between.
- Now add in the red chilli powder, the buttermilk, salt and sugar.
- Bring the whole thing to a boil while stirring continuously.
- Just before serving, make a second seasoning with oil, the finely chopped garlic pods and 1/2 tsp red chilli powder. Pout this over the ready vegetable.
- Serve hot with steamed rice or with bhaakris of your choice.
I believe that food should look as good as it tastes, and vice-versa. Maybe this is because I am an artist and an advertising professional too! But my first brush ...Read more about this chef..