Dalimbi/Vaal Usal is a favorite choice for Usals in most Marathi weddings. Also known as field beans, lima beans or butter beans in English, these beans when sprouted and cooked are so delicately delicious! Overcooking is an absolute no-no… and you will find various recipes for the same usal in different households. Some with onion, some without. Posted here is a recipe along with pictures of the sprouts and the ingredients used in the usal for easy understanding of the dish. A rice using these beans can also be made, and you will find a recipe for the same in the rice section of my site.
Published on September 18, 2017 | In Indian | By Author |0 Comments
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 big bowlful of usal
- Difficulty Level Moderate
- (4.3 /5)
- 2 ratings
- 1/4 kg vaal, soaked, sprouted and deskinned
- Few curry leaves
- 1 medium-sized onion finely cut
- 1 medium-sized tomato chopped
- 1 potato cut into pieces
- 1 small cup of wet paste made from - sauteed onion, fresh coconut, ginger, garlic
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds/rai
- 1/2 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida/hing
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp goda masala (recipe given in the masala section of this site)
- 1 small piece of jaggery
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp dhania-jeera / coriander-cumin powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil and make a seasoning using the mustard seeds, cumin, hing, haldi and curry leaves.
- Add the cut onion, saute till transparent and add the tomatoes.
- Mix in the potatoes, the cleaned dalimbi/vaal, all the spice powders, jaggery, the wet ground paste, along with 1 1/2 cup water and salt to taste.
- Put on the lid and cook only for 1 whistle. As the vaal is sprouted, it won't require more than 1 whistle to cook. Overcooking will break the beans and dissolve them.
- Serve hot with phulkas or rice.
- Servings : 5-6 people
- Ready in : 35 Minutes
- Course : Dals/Lentils
- Recipe Type : Dals/ Lentils
I believe that food should look as good as it tastes, and vice-versa. Maybe this is because I am an artist and an advertising professional too! But my first brush ...Read more about this chef..
Suran Groundnut Curry
Lasooni Palak/ Garlicky Spinach
Namkeen Mathri/ Savoury Crackers
3 Ingredient Oreo Cake
Khatti Meethi Moong Dal...
Rate this recipe
2 People Rated This Recipe
No comments yet.