Khavla, as it is called in Marathi, is a seasonal green vegetable found only in the rains. It isn’t a very commonly found veggie too, and can be spotted only in Dadar in Mumbai, and a few Vasaiwalas selling seasonal greens. I hadn’t heard of this particular dish at all and came across it only after my marriage as it is one of hubby’s favourite dishes. Easy to make, with just four ingredients, this snack is predominantly tangy because of the tamarind pulp used in it. The taste grows on you after the first few bites. Some like it and some don’t. But if you are the adventurous sort, do try out this regional and seasonal delicacy, as it it sure to titillate your taste-buds!
Khavlyachya Vadya / Tikkis made out of Seasonal Greens
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 12-15 pieces
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (3.2 /5)
- 6 ratings
- 2 bunches of Khavlyachi Bhaaji / Seasonal green vegetable
- 2 tbsp tamarind pulp
- 4 finely cut green chillies
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- salt to taste
- oil to shallow fry
- Remove all leaves from the stems, wash and cut the leaves finely.
- Add in the tamarind pulp, rice flour, salt and green chillies. Mix all the ingredients well.
- Shape into flat rounds.
- Heat oil on a pan and shallow fry till done from both sides.
- These have to be eaten just by themselves along with your main meal. No need for any chutney or sauce!
I believe that food should look as good as it tastes, and vice-versa. Maybe this is because I am an artist and an advertising professional too! But my first brush ...Read more about this chef..