Dahi Vada is the perfect snack to be had on a hot summer day… or a hot evening, for that matter! The perfect combination of sweet, crispy and tangy…it can be had as a snack or as a mini meal by itself. Packed with the goodness of curd/dahi and the punch of protein from the udad dal, it is a versatile and colourful recipe which is light on the stomach. So, go ahead an indulge in a plateful of yumminess today!
Dahi Vada / Yoghurt Dumplings
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 20 vadas
- Difficulty Level Moderate
- (3.3 /5)
- 7 ratings
- 100 gms udad dal
- salt to taste
- 1/4 kg dahi/yoghurt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp sweet tamarind chutney
- 1 tsp green mint chutney
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp dhania-jeera powder/ coriander-cumin powder
- 1 tbsp fresh pomegranate seeds
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp fine, yellow sev
- Oil for frying
- For the Dahi/ Curd/ Yoghurt : Add 3 tbsp water to the dahi and mix well.
- Add salt to taste and sugar, mix and keep aside.
- For the Vadas : Soak the Udad dal for 1/2 an hour.
- Grind it to a thick consistency in a mixie. Add salt and mix well.
- Heat oil in a deep pan and fry round vadas till golden brown.
- Immediately transfer the hot vadas to a bowlful of water and squeeze out the excess water.
- In a serving dish arrange 3-4 vadas.
- Pour the ready dahi over them.
- Add the sweet chutney and the green chutney on top.
- Sprinkle with red chilli powder and coriander-cumin powder.
- Garnish finally with the finely chopped coriander, red pomegranate seeds and sev.
- Note : The sweet chutney and the green chutney can be made and deep frozen in advance. It saves a lot of time, and you have ready chutneys whenever you want or desire to make either chaat items or dahi vadas!
I believe that food should look as good as it tastes, and vice-versa. Maybe this is because I am an artist and an advertising professional too! But my first brush ...Read more about this chef..