With the onset of summer, you feel like eating something which isn’t too heavy to digest and is cooling to the stomach as well. This dish fits the bill perfectly. The stew is light and full of flavour, while the ragi has cooling properties. If you are a lover of all things coconut like me, you’re sure to fall in love with this delicate but immensely flavourful dish! Trust me, this is a recipe you will make again and again!
Vegetable Stew with Ragi Dosas
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 3 portions
- Difficulty Level Moderate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- For the Stew - 2 cups diced vegetables : Cauliflower, carrots, potatoes
- 1 diced onion
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 1 inch grated ginger
- 1-2 cinnamon sticks, 2 bay leaves, 4-5 peppercorns, 3-4 cloves
- 3 slit green chillies
- Few curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 cups water
- 1.5 cups thick coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- For the Dosas - 1/2 cup urad dal
- 2 cups ragi flour
- salt to taste
- Oil to make dosas
- For the Stew : In a pan, heat the oil and add in all the whole spices, grated ginger and curry leaves.
- Saute for a minute and add the diced onion and turmeric powder.
- Add in all the vegetables and peas, 2 cups water, the slit green chillies and salt to taste.
- Cover and cook till all the vegetables are almost cooked.
- Now add in the coconut milk and sugar.
- Simmer for 2 minutes and switch off the gas.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes before serving with either dosas, rice, appams or chappatis.
- For the Ragi Dosas - Soak the urad dal in water for 3-4 hours.
- In a mixie jar add the soaked dal, ragi flour, salt to taste and enough water to make a dosa batter.
- Grind to a smooth consistency and keep covered overnight in a warm place to ferment.
- The next morning you will see that the batter has doubled in quantity.
- Heat a non-stick pan, grease it with a little oil and spread the dosa batter evenly over it.
- Cover and cook for a minute. Flip the dosa and cook it on the other side for another minute.
- Repeat for all dosas and serve hot with the delicious Vegetable Stew!
- This batter will make around 10-12 medium sized dosas.
I believe that food should look as good as it tastes, and vice-versa. Maybe this is because I am an artist and an advertising professional too! But my first brush ...Read more about this chef..