This breakfast recipe is a variation of the usual Upma that we make using Semolina /Rava. Made in most Maharashtrian households as a breakfast item, it is low in calories, great in taste and fills the tummy nicely till lunchtime! Tastes best when had piping hot, it can be had with roasted or fried Poha papad and mango or lime pickle to enhance its taste even further.
Savoury Sheera / Tikhat Sheera/ Saanja
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 bowlful
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (4.3 /5)
- 3 ratings
- 1 cup dry roasted thick semolina/ rava
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 2 finely cut green chillies
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds / rai
- 1/2 tsp turmeric / haldi
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida / hing
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Juice of half a lemon
- salt to taste
- 3 tsp oil
- fresh coconut and coriander for garnishing
- 2 1/5 cups water
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, turmeric, hing, green chillies and curry leaves.
- Put in the cut onion and saute till transparent.
- Boil water separately in a vessel.
- Add the roasted rava to the onion and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Put in the boiling water and stir.
- Add sugar, salt to taste and the lemon juice.
- Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir well and adjust water accordingly.
- Serve hot garnished with fresh coriander, cut coriander leaves. Note : You can also keep a quarter of lemon along with it for additional tang if required.
I believe that food should look as good as it tastes, and vice-versa. Maybe this is because I am an artist and an advertising professional too! But my first brush ...Read more about this chef..