Mixed Dal IdliDhokla
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 16 idlis
- Difficulty Level Moderate
- (4.5 /5)
- 2 ratings
- 1/2 cup each of toor dal, moong dal, udad dal, masoor dal, chana dal.
- 2 cups besan / chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp curd
- 2 tsp ginger-garlic-green chillies paste
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp haldi/ turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp hing/ asafoetida
- salt to taste
- oil to grease the moulds and for seasoning
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and 1/2 tsp hing/ asafoetida for seasoning
- 1/2 tsp soda-bicarb
- Soak the dals for 3-4 hour, preferable in the morning.
- Grind to a thick batter at night.
- Mix in the besan/ chickpea flour, curd, ginger-garlic-chilli paste, sugar, haldi/ turmeric, hing/ asafoetida, salt to taste.
- Add water only if required to make a thick batter.
- Keep covered the whole night for fermentation.
- Next morning, mix in the soda bicarb.
- Grease the idli moulds with oil and fill with the batter.
- Steam for 15-20 minutes.
- Check if done by inserting a toothpick in the centre. If it comes out clean,they're done.
- Make a seasoning by heating 1 tsp of oil with the mustard seeds and the hing/asafoetida.
- Remove the idliDhoklas from the mould. Pour the hot oil over the IdliDhoklas.
- Serve hot with the chutney or dip of your choice. Shown in the pictures is a simple chutney made by grinding together fresh coconut, daalia, one green chilli with salt to taste.
I believe that food should look as good as it tastes, and vice-versa. Maybe this is because I am an artist and an advertising professional too! But my first brush ...Read more about this chef..